Salisbury Business Improvement District

Salisbury Hospitality Venues Urged To Apply For Pavement Licences

1st March 2021

Wiltshire Council is offering hospitality venues the chance to apply for temporary pavement licences ahead of lockdown restrictions being eased. 

Temporary pavement licences can be issued to premises for the sale of food or drink for consumption, and once approved, they allow eligible businesses to put tables and chairs on the public highway outside their premises to trade safely. 

The licences are free of charge and most are valid for 12 months from the date of issue.   

Any Salisbury BID levy payers who apply for a licence are also asked to let the BID know by emailing as we may be able to offer support and additional promotion 

Cllr Bridget Wayman, Cabinet Member for Highways, said: “As lockdown is eased and more businesses can reopen, we want to give Wiltshire’s hospitality venues the opportunity to apply for temporary pavement licences in plenty of time for their proposed earliest reopening date on 12 April. 

“We could charge for this service, but we are offering the licences free of charge as we want to do all we can to support Wiltshire businesses. I would urge all eligible businesses to apply as soon as possible so they can take advantage of the opportunity to trade again safely. 

“Any business that had a temporary pavement licence issued previously during the pandemic may need to check the end date of their existing licence and apply again, but we will do all we can to fast track these applications to ensure there is no gap in the time they hold a valid licence. 

“We know how important it is to give businesses every opportunity to succeed during what has been a difficult time, and once these venues are able to reopen, these licences will enable traders to accommodate customers outside safely.” 

The council also requires any business that may have furniture on the highway without a licence to contact them, as will help to keep pavements and highways safe and avoid requests for removal. 

There is a detailed FAQs and downloadable application form on the Wiltshire Council website 

Any applications for licences that have already been made can also be found on the same page.  

Completed application forms should be emailed to