‘Salisbury BID remain supportive of the scheme principles, in line with the objectives of the Central Area Framework, we would like to see an improved version of the scheme introduced in 2021 that addresses some of the business concerns raised.’
Salisbury BID had written to Wiltshire Council on the 16th November requesting a temporary suspension of the scheme and suggesting a re-introduction of the scheme in the New Year. This followed concerns raised by our levy payers about the timing of the implementation in light of the 2nd national lockdown, and trading concerns over the Christmas period.
We now welcome further dialogue with both Wiltshire Council and Salisbury City Council and other stakeholders to consider how best the scheme can be reintroduced with maximum economic benefit for businesses
Below are some of the key points we would wish to consider and discuss further.
• An early opportunity for the BID to consult with BID members on the scheme plans, to allow for feedback and to ensure thorough sector and street engagement
• A review of the challenges encountered from the previous scheme to inform scheme revisions before implementation (in particular delivery and business access challenges)
• Confirmation of the economic success factors being measured for the scheme
• Increased engagement with local stakeholders ahead of any scheme implementation and regular engagement during the scheme trial including a local stakeholder group for communications
• A comprehensive communications strategy that stakeholders can engage with to promote the scheme benefits and address any perception issues that may arise
• Business engagement regarding the complementary initiatives being considered for funding
• Consideration and discussion of the scheme implementation timings in 2021 and how businesses can maximise their trading opportunities alongside this
• Development of complementary plans and activities for the city centre to showcase additional vibrancy activities that could be delivered to support the scheme objectives
We will continue to update our BID members on any implementation plans being considered and will ensure their views are represented to Wiltshire Council by way of regular surveys and will encourage all businesses to engage with their views and feedback.
In partnership with VisitWiltshire, Salisbury BID co-fund the Visit Salisbury website to promote the city to visitors. The Visit Salisbury website has a full events calendar for Salisbury.